Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Now I find out that college savings should not be in UGMA's since they reduce the amount you could receive in college aid.

You might want to check out the estimated financial aid calculators at http://www.collegeboard.com. My wife and I both work, and we do not consider ourselves to be highly paid, but when I ran the numbers using that calculator, I discovered that there was very little chance of our children getting financial aid. So, we have their money in UGMAs.

I find that most every article I read cautions against UGMAs because they could reduce financial aid, but almost none of these articles go the extra step of telling you how to estimate the aid, if any, you're likely to get. The article that pointed me to the College Board was in Kiplinger's Personal Finance, btw.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.