Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Now I'll vent (here, where my own family won't see it).

DS married a classmate. She got a high-paying job in private industry. They bought a modest house, and seemed to be doing well: new car, nice vacations, etc.

Then this year they had a baby. I had volunteered to provide day care, so was at their house her first day back at work. She was in tears, broken hearted, didn't want to leave her new little baby, which I totally understood. I figured she'd quit in a week.
But, as the higher earner, she couldn't quit, and doesn't have the option of cutting back to part-time at her firm, although she does work from home a lot. DS also works from home a lot, and although he also loves the baby to pieces, doesn't have the same primal urge to be with him 24/7. So if he were to be a SAHD, she still wouldn't be happy.

Anyway, after 3 months of my taking care of the baby, that arrangement ended. Baby was happy during the day with me, fussy with them in the evenings, and rather than ask or observe what I was doing right, they decided I was doing it wrong and somehow causing the evening and overnight distress. So when they worked from home, they were constantly on the hunt for things I should be doing differently, and micromanaging. They finally basically fired me for insubordination.

And then, it turns out, they can't afford a nanny! So, DH & I are paying for my replacement.

Which we can afford, but that certainly wasn't the plan. The plan was that we'd launch our kids with 6 years of college paid for, and a used car, and they'd take it from there.

Oh well. Man plans and God laughs.
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.