Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Now in this case, it was pretty much just crossed wires(and a couple of 1040Xs to be done) but it made me wonder - what happens when someone already claimed the dependent or the person claimed themself ?

If the parties don't get it resolved themselves through amended returns, the IRS will sort it out for them, inquiring of all for the pertinent facts and proof. When they become aware of the problem, if the earlier filing was incorrect the later filer should just go ahead and file on paper, since it's probably not going to get resolved in time for an electronic filing.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.