Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Now, of course, Vanguard does offer brokerage services - which it didn't do five years ago..... if I recall right.

t.

---------------------

I closed my Ameritrade account and consolidated stocks into Vanguard as another step towards simplifying my investment accounts in retirement. I am far from a frequent trader but if I was, AMT probably was a better place to be. But from what I read recently, AMT has gone down hill, but I was quite satisfied when I had my individual stocks with them.

One thing I got surprised with at Vanguard is worth mentioning. I never have been in a dividend re-investment program with individual stocks. I always let the dividends accumulate into a sweep account and then at some point I would buy some stock, either more of something I already own or something new. OTOH, with mutual funds I always had divs and cap gains re-invested in more shares of the fund.

So when I moved my stocks into the account that previously held only mutual funds, they were automatically enrolled in dividend re-investment. I didn't discover this until after the first cycle of dividend payments did not show up as more cash in my sweep account.

I protested vehemently with Vanguard investor services. They explained that dividend re-investment is a default at the account level in their system. They refused to undo what I think was a error. I could and did make a "no dividend re-investment election" on each individual stock going forward. But now, instead of nice round lots, I have all these fractional shares that irritate me every time I look at my account. Grrrr.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.