Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Now on to part 2.

You have money in a Traditional IRA that you would like to convert to a Roth IRA. As long as your income is below the IRS guidelines for single people, you are allowed to convert. No minimum income is required. You are correct that the best time to convert is in a year when you're not working. Just make sure you have the money outside the IRA available to pay the taxes.

[Recharacterize means to undo a conversion, or to designate a contribution to one type of IRA as actually going to another type of IRA. You don't need this.]
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.