Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 21
Now please don't take this as criticism but…If you can't stay on top of nine companies as part of your job, when you're obviously well qualified and educated for it, how can the average investor expect to be able to do the same? Now, maybe this is because I have no idea what your other responsibilities as a staffer are but I'd like to hear from you on this. As such, I have a few questions:

How much time each week did you spend (on average) managing the portfolio?

If you didn't have to produce an article and were “just” maintaining your knowledge of the stocks (this includes discussion on the boards and with other staffers) how much time would you say it took?

My concern is that we (investors united) are under the impression that we can manage a portfolio of our own. If you were having problems I'm hoping that it's because those $*^% Gardner brothers were keeping you busy with other important stuff and away from the portfolio (“Hey Bill! We need a fourth for golf!” or maybe even “Hey Bill! Run to the store and grab me a case of that good Canadian beer!”).

Excellent point. If Bill couldn't handle it as part of his full time job, how can the average wage slave who expects to put in no more than let's say four hours a week of his spare time expect to manage a portfolio of individual stocks? It's all either a grand illusion, or the amount of work is being greatly exagerated as an excuse for dropping the real money portfolios. It takes me five minutes a day to track a portfolio of about 30 stocks, CAGRs and all.

Let's face it, the only reason for this change is that TMF wants to make money. They can't give away stock recommendations for free anymore. Everything they preached for years - do your own research, don't mimic us, don't pay for research, is out the window because life is tough. To survive they have to turn Wise. They are now fully in the business of selling stock advice. Kind of reminds me of Orwell's Animal Farm. One day you wake up and all the animals have become the pigs they detested.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.