Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Now you are starting to sound like a Conservative! (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Normally I abide by the principle of charity and assume that the bureaucrats who recommended that those posts be established are correct. In reality, there's probably some portion of them that could be eliminated, but some other portion that are important. You can be short a couple of judges or a couple of citizenship officials for a while, but eventually it will probably catch up to the government by longer line-ups. Thinking back to some of the appointments made by Harper in June, a couple of them were presidents/executive directors of federal museums. They could probably have gotten by without a "permanent" boss, but most organizations benefit from having clarity of leadership (even if the leaders are sometimes mediocre!).

Cheers

SJ

Oddly I have been accused by one of my own daughters of playing both ends of the field but I am certainly not the type of Conservative I've seen over the past decade. Perhaps at times a small c conservative with a small l liberal bent.

Funny story about government employees and leadership. A brand new minted director and CEO started her job here in Nova Scotia Monday. The group she is taking over is a mess after four CEOs in recent years including an interim because the previous guy had mismanaged funds, low moral in the staff and short four people. The previous leadership were all people that knew the job but were neither leaders nor managers. We often had this problem in the military were good technicians when promoted to management fell flat on their faces.

She first commented on the crappy website but the GIC had asked several times for a small sum to upgrade it and was turned down as a waste of money. Since the website is the first contact/impression clients get it will be done ASAP. Next some of the staff told her they were swamped with a training task ordered in settlements that they were backlogged two years. She asked could the training be put on line for those required to do it and after passing an online test signed off. It was like a light came on in the room. She contacted a professor at Dal who does such things and it is already in the planning and budget. She also will not fill those four positions for at least 6 months in order to pay for the website and training system upgrades with a fair bit to spare.

Not a bad first week and she hasn't even met with the minister yet (scheduled for next Thursday). She has managed to find a house to rent, and family doctor and a host of other stuff as well as attending functions organized to meet people involved.

Sometimes a bit of good leadership and management is all that is needed to make a lot of good people more effective.

Tim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.