Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A company that was a customer of my former employer granted me some stock options. Because I was not an employee of this company, they were non-qualified options rather than ISOs. The company was bought by a public company, the options were converted to options in a stock that was actually publically traded and thus worth something, and I exercised the options. Because I was not an employee of the granting company, no withholding was done. I'll owe taxes on the spread next April, and I have the money set aside to pay them. (My wife and I tweaked our W4s to be absolutely certain to meet the 100% safe harbor rule, so we don't need to make quarterly estimated tax payments.)

Even though I wasn't really self-employed, my understanding from Fairmark is that the bargain element is taxable as SE income rather than regular W2 compensation income, since the options were from a company other than my employer.

First question:

I'll earn enough from my regular job to hit the Social Security tax cap. That means no Social Security SE tax liability on this extra income, right? I understand that I'll owe income tax and 2.9% SE Medicare tax, and that half of the Medicare tax (the part that would be paid by the employer if this were employee income) will generate a tax deduction.

Second question:

Does income from non-employee NQ options count as SE income for purposes of SEP eligibility? My thinking is that if I get a 1099 for it, and I have to pay SE tax on it, it should, and I should be able to put 13.0435% of the spread in a SEP and reduce our tax burden a bit. On the other hand, this doesn't really feel like SE income to me, since I earned it for my role as an employee, just in a different company from the one granting the options. Are there situations where one has to pay SE tax on income, receives a 1099 rather than a W2 for the income, but is not allowed to contribute it to a SEP?

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.