Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've just purchased a bit of Quantum's DSS tracking stock after hemming and hawing about NTAP, COBT, and DSS for a while.

My lengthy reasoning, posted on the Gilder board

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380530000027000

The gut feeling: Quantum is aggressive and strategically smart, and their stock is selling for very cheap compared to NTAP and others. They have been engineering a long-term attack from below on the NAS business for a while. They showed their cards when they bought Meridian's low-end NAS niche last year - and then very rapidly upgraded Meridian's product line to make it cheaper and better.

This gives DSS an interesting approach - combining a long-term technology attack from low-end NAS with the marketing advantage (both in existing customers and strategic outlook) of being the leader in very-high-end tape systems.

Was buying DSS instead of NTAP a mistake? Anybody here own any DSS?

Apologies in advance for posting on this board - the clear chocie to me is between DSS and NTAP, but the DSS board is deserted. (Maybe there is a reason for that - am I missing something?)

Thoughts? Flame away.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.