Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi nukejohn,

Today ClearStation's Kensey sent out two alerts to suggested Longs. They were ODP and PXLW. I took a look at their Point and Figure Charts and saw, for me, a good chart for ODP of progressive stair steps up and another scenario for PXLW of a recovery from a fall. ODP looked best, so I went to Big Charts - Java Chart and found the following:

Your four point analysis would have signalled a BUY on 12/5/01 at a closing cost of 17.37. The Beta is 1.04 and (I need to look up what you said for the percentage) @10% the low stop would be 15.633 and @12% it would be 15.29. The upper limit to change the stops would be @115% 19.98. Since 12/5 the stops have not been reached, nor has the upper limit to change stops been reached. Today's closing price is less than the price on 12/5, 16.70. If it would have been a BUY on 12/5 at 17.37, why isn't it a better buy now at 16.70? There are no BUY triggers from your system, but there are BUY signals from ClearStation by Kensey's system. Isn't this a go - go situation that should be used?

Usually ClearStation is after your signals to buy, and, since I do not have a Watch List, it works as a substitute in a way. Most of the time, their signals do not look good as the price has gone up indicating to me that some of the gain has been made already and that I would be getting only the tail end of the rise. This one is different, it seems.

I looked further into ODP, Office Depot, and found that it was at a much higher level in the first half of 99, began a big dip through 00, and began its stairstep upwards all through 01. It's current range of the past 52 weeks is between $6.00 and $17.49, which means that it is creating new highs as it rises. Office Depot is a good company as far as I know watching the TV ads and seeing the stores everywhere, discount at that. Retail, necessary stuff, discount, well known = good in my book.

So, nukejohn, what is your take?

Thanks, Anne
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.