Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
New TigerInvestor.com Issue: Patrick Grinsell - MF
Patrick has a new issue: Nvidia Upgrade: Interview with CFO

Published NOW at http://www.tigerinvestor.com

After NVIDIA's latest quarterly release I had to opportunity to speak with Chris Hoberg, CFO of NVIDIA and Derek Perez of their public relations department. The following is an analysis of NVIDIA as a result of these conversations...NV10, the latest and greatest of NVIDIA's product line is now in production. Rumors of 3dfx's Voodoo4 being possibly put off until fourth quarter and S3's product slipping into next year indicate that history appears to be repeating itself again .... As a good reporter I couldn't let NVIDIA go unquestioned about their NV10 product even though I suspected I wouldn't get a straight answer. My simple question? Is NV10 a chip or chipset? To my surprise Derek Perez answered that it was indeed a single chip..... I started out by mentioning that NVIDIA puts all the time and resources into building the technology, drivers, and reference design and the board manufacturers add very little in terms of value. Simply put, the money that those boardmakers are pocketing on their products could be NVIDIA's alone. To my utter surprise, their CFO completely agreed, saying, "We're actually on a path to change that model a bit [their current model]. The acquisition of Diamond by S3 actually gave us a wonderful opportunity to do that. One of the reasons that we think going forward, for exactly the reasons you said, the board guys have diminished over the years in terms of the value-add that they're bringing to the picture." - TigerInvestor.com

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.