Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I note this here primarily because of one thing: While noting that the DOE hasn't increased a single appliance et al energy standard in 6 years - in fact, they've tried to cancel some from the 1990s - now that they have come out with some proposed efficiency increases in utility distribution equipment, even the utilities think they are not enough.

Yet another piece of evidence - if one was needed - that the Federal government has been run by diehard ideologues who are even out of touch with the companies that usually buy them.

jp

http://tinyurl.com/yyelbg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The department has always been sluggish in issuing these standards. But under Mr. Bush it has been more passive than ever, failing to issue a single strengthened efficiency standard since he took office.

jp:

As usual, another great post.

I can remember in the early years of clean air standards, the question was, "Should standards exceed current manufacturing capability?" The answer should have been: "If the technology is there, then yes!"

One reason AMSC isn't a $50 stock (or even higher) is that it will have to develop the markets for its products. Instead of the government's standard for a gigantic motor being so high in 2010 that a 2G superconducting wire model would be required, we continue building more electric generating facilities, and burning more fossil fuels, instead of getting rid of energy hungry motors that can be sucking up energy for 30 years or more. It puts AMSC on the long hard road of fighting to get new technology implemented instead of being help to solve a pressing energy (and clean air) problem in this country.

Sorry for the soap box speech but the politic rhetoric on energy really gets under my skin...

W.D.
No. of Recommendations: 1
...we continue building more electric generating facilities, and burning more fossil fuels, instead of getting rid of energy hungry motors that can be sucking up energy for 30 years or more.

I tend to agree. One reason I want to push for more use in motors/generators of HTS, is that it attacks the other end of the problem. If we can keep pushing and find a first niche market -ie., a premium market (like aerospace; or, an all-electric vehicle?) where we can start inserting HTS machines into a mainstream, it might start sequeing from there into the more common areas.

jp