Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
On the Jay Leno Show.

>> "Well, the math stuff I was fine with up until 7th grade. But Malia is now a freshman in High School and I’m pretty lost. It’s tough. Fortunately, they are great students on their own. And if something doesn’t work I’ll call over to the Department of Energy to see if they have a physicist to come over!" <<
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/10/25/Obama-Admit...

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
no wonder we are in trouble if Obama can't understand simple math for economics....no less more sophisticated math for real economic analysis.

No wonder he doesn't realize 16 trillion is a big number.

Weep for the country

t.
no wonder we are in trouble if Obama can't understand simple math for economics....no less more sophisticated math for real economic analysis.
---------------

As I told my Econ 101 students - this is 5th grade math. Some were totally at a loss as to how to divide by fractions. 5th grade!

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 1
Some were totally at a loss as to how to divide by fractions

Uhhh, invert and multiply? It's not that tough.
Some were totally at a loss as to how to divide by fractions

Uhhh, invert and multiply? It's not that tough.
------------------

You pass. Now tell Bernanke why his ideas about a multiplier are a crock.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 1
Arrete:

I did research on provincial competition that got me invited as a supplementary lecturer to a class studying economics. The little darlings were dismayed I went into practicalities.

What I did in the survey was compare the price of an A&W Teenburger across Canada. Since A&W freighted all supplies regardless of distance at the same cost any difference in customer cost would be to local financial effects (cost of business, employee cost, that sort of thing). The survey gave me numbers I could use to stress a point I’ve made often on Motley: investment and talent moves to where it has the greater return and moves away from where it has the lesser return.

In my lecture I pointed out an A&W Teenburger cost $2.55 in Ontario and $1.90 in Alberta. So where then goes investment and talent? Since the economic conditions in Alberta are such then investment would flow to that Province.

However, the little darlings in the class thought the use of a hamburger was not ‘suitable’ in the discussion of economics. Preferable were abstract banking numbers that could be pondered. If the numbers involved pickles then not so.

So I wasn’t a hit and didn’t get re-invited.

MichaelR
I remember the Teenburger! And I loved A & W.

I once divised a test where the multiplier was either 4/3 or 3/4. Because I suspected cheating from the last test. Anyway, I handed it out ever other person. Upon grading, I got to write lots of "How odd. You got the answer to your neighbor's test. I didn't have a lot of cheating problems after that.

arrete