No. of Recommendations: 3
Obama's debt? What percentage of the national debt has been rung up under Obama.
---
Has 0bama done ANYTHING to lower it?

No. And thank goodness. Cutting government spending is a terrible idea during a recession.
----------------------------------------
What are you basing your opinion on?

Biggs, Hassett, and Jensen found that successful fiscal consolidations averaged 85% spending cuts and 15% revenue increases, while unsuccessful fiscal consolidations averaged 47% spending cuts and 53% revenue increases.

I don't think history is in your favor just thinking off the top of my head from the Great Depression and Calvin Coolidge and the Roaring 20's. Two different ways of dealing with it and it seems Calvin Coolidges approach was far superior. Actually you can look at how this recession was dealt with, massive spending which was going to stop us from getting above 8% unemployment, we're at 9.2% unemployment now with .4% GDP last quarter and 1.3% GDP this quarter, and i'm sure the 1.3 will be adjusted down.

Henry Morgenthau, Jr. was FDR's Secretary of the Treasury from 1934-1945. In the following important quote, he admits that the big New Deal stimulus spending programs had failed.

(p. 2) We have tried spending money. We are spending more money than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong . . . somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job, I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. . . . I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started . . . . And an enormous debt to boot!

Those who do not learn from history are 9 times out of ten democrats.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.