Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
There are times when I feel older than my chronological age, and other times when I feel younger. Usually it's because of a transitory change in physical health, occasional mental health.

Right now I'm feeling ancient. I still use(d) a CD player, and after a period of working imperfectly, this week it failed. It's about 35 years old. In electronics years that's probably equivalent to 300.

Replacements turn out to be scarce and, for the most part, very expensive, aimed at the ultra-high end of the audio market. The only consumer-grade model actually available seems to be a Yamaha at $379.

For the moment I've slotted in a spare DVD player, but it's audio isn't very good.

Meanwhile, my Internet radio tuner became obsolete this month. It would work if the server it used hadn't been decommissioned, and its firmware can't be updated. Internet audio tuners are not quite as hard to find as CD players, and one is coming in a few days. I have this because the public-radio service in this region switched its classical-music and news/talk frequencies, and the one that is now the music frequency is of too low wattage to receive here.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.