Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
There are times when I feel older than my chronological age, and other times when I feel younger. Usually it's because of a transitory change in physical health, occasional mental health.

Right now I'm feeling ancient. I still use(d) a CD player, and after a period of working imperfectly, this week it failed. It's about 35 years old. In electronics years that's probably equivalent to 300.

Replacements turn out to be scarce and, for the most part, very expensive, aimed at the ultra-high end of the audio market. The only consumer-grade model actually available seems to be a Yamaha at $379.

For the moment I've slotted in a spare DVD player, but it's audio isn't very good.

Meanwhile, my Internet radio tuner became obsolete this month. It would work if the server it used hadn't been decommissioned, and its firmware can't be updated. Internet audio tuners are not quite as hard to find as CD players, and one is coming in a few days. I have this because the public-radio service in this region switched its classical-music and news/talk frequencies, and the one that is now the music frequency is of too low wattage to receive here.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I may have one you could have inexpensively, though shipping might be prohibitive. I'd have to check if it still works (it should).

I use our BluRay player when I need a CD player. I won't play a BluRay at the same time, so there is no conflict (i.e. either I'm watching a movie, or I'm listening to music, but not both).

I recently had to dump a bunch of old cassettes. My cassette player isn't working, I'm not going to fix it, and I'm not going to buy a new one (if I could even find one).

I also have a VHS player I need to get rid of. Still works, last I knew. But who views VHS?

Oh...and the laser disc player. Remember those? They were popular for about 15 minutes, and then DVD came out.

1poorguy
No. of Recommendations: 3
I replace most of my older stuff via ebay.
There are many choices of cd players there.
Recently i bought a mini casette recorder to replace my old one that bit the dust
Got a record player but 90% of the record collection hit the dust years ago - like 10 or 15 years ago. It needs a new drive belt. Hooked up to the 40 year old AM/hi-fi stereo amp that still works. Seldom listen to radio. Good classical 50 KW FM station here in Dallas that reaches out 100 miles. My hearing has gotten worse and worse, and with the hearing aids, music sounds like crap.

Got an old CD player too..... and 40 or 50 CDs not used.

Got a boom box type cassette player. Same thing - 30-40 tapes and don't use it.

I'm to the point where the closed captions are essential.

well, getting old is no fun but the alternative is worse.

Yeah, I got a VHS player from 1983 - weights about 25 lbs and still works. One of the original RCA VHS machines built like a battle ship. Only have 3 or so tapes left. Just sits on hi-fi shelf taking space.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 2
This past year, I spotted an electronic waste day location nearby in Sonoma, manned by volunteers, I took, much od a pickup load of old gear, monitors, VHS tape, players, printers, scanners, over to them.. I didn't even need to get out of the truck, I did, but mainly to thank them all for their help...

I've added another box now, I've a bunch of bankers boxes, I need to go through other storage bins, clear out a lot of the old audio, video, USB, ethernet, printer cables, mice, and other stuff I'll never use. Grandkids, family, are grown, making their own choices, time for a lot of it to also join the un-needed pile...

Not sure what I can do with other old gear I've collected, but I'm thinking a lot more of it could go away and not be missed by anyone, me included... Maybe I can make enough space in the workshop where I can walk about better, not fight all the 'stuff'...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Most of my music listening is still CDs, which form the bulk of my collection. Mostly listen on my computer over cheap speakers when doing other things, but we're travelling now, so we play them on our car system, rather than radio. Don't listen to radio much at all and don't have a stereo system at home. Still have around 50 LPs that I can listen to via an old turntable that still works, hooked up to a bluetooth transmitter - so any bluetooth speaker or headphones in the vicinity will work. Many of the albums I have left would be impossible to replace, now, on any media. Casette player is still around, and probably works, but not hooked up to anything currently.

As for Video, we seldom use DVDs, and VHS even less, but we have the equipment to do so, if we choose.
I’ve got over 300 CDs

I loaded them into my computer and listen to them over my phone. The CDs themselves are just backup.
You should be able to easily and cheaply get a CD-player which connects to your computer via USB. If you want to connect to a receiver and need a standalone player which connects via HDMI or jacks, then try looking for used on NextDoor, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist. Goodwill stores can also be a source of electronics equipment.
Goodwill stores can also be a source of electronics equipment.

I'll second that. My newly-teenage daughter loves going thrifting. I usually get bored and poke around in the electronics sections of the bigger stores - mostly for nostalgia's sake. I've frequently seen CD players and other 90's-era electronica for sale.

Of course, whether it still works might be hit or miss.

Albaby
Mostly listen on my computer over cheap speakers when doing other things, but we're travelling now, so we play them on our car system, rather than radio.

None of my vehicles have a CD player.

PSU
None of my vehicles have a CD player.

As of a week ago, neither do ours. We have our old Jeep which I replaced the radio with one that supports Bluetooth. And the new ID.4, which (obviously) has all the latest "infotainment" features. Sold the old Honda (with a 6-CD changer!) to a girl whose car was totaled a month or so ago. She seemed happy, though I expect the boyfriend will end up changing the radio (he made some comments about it being outdated).
I guess we're weird. We rarely listen to music, though we have a nice system in the living room, with speakers built into the wall, etc.

Mainly, we like peace and quiet or conversation, home or traveling.

Vermonter
Sometimes we have the peace and quiet of peace and quiet. We each read stuff on the internet, "do email", etc. When the stereo is on, it's usually the TV. Sometimes we put on a CD and listen to music. Though it's inconvenient to change CDs constantly. Sometimes I listen to MP3s on my PC. I use iTunes on the PC, so it will play hundreds of songs until I stop it. I've ripped most of my CDs.

1poorguy
Next to be replaced: an iPad mini 2 that still works but which can't be updated to an iOS version that various apps now require. But I'm not moving to the mini 6, only to one of the remaining mini 5's.
If you have an Echo, you can ask her to play an artist. "She" doesn't play everything by the artist. In fact, there is a lot of repetition of songs. So if you like a prolific artist, you might get about 30 songs over and over. If you ask for a specific song and you didn't pay for it on Amazon, she will say no and ask if you want to try Amazon music which costs money. When you say no, she sometimes plays that song anyway.

But I like it because I just tell her to play "artist" and it just happens. I tell her to reduce the volume, increase or just stop. If you own music through Amazon, it plays that music on Alexa when you want.

I can be sewing in one room and yell out for Alexa to play music. It's pretty convenient.

--Linda
p.s. I still miss my 25-CD player that died about 10 years ago. It was fabulous.
p.s.p.s. curiously enough alstroemeria posted Carmina Burana here maybe in October and I played it today right here from the rele post...listened to it while I sewed, made breakfast, cleaned kitchen