Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

Obviously it's entirely up to you, and what you want.

Just from the bit you've described I would already be saying "screw it, I'm done".

Maybe if it was a dream job that I might want to do for a few more years. Like Goddard Space Flight Center. And even then, given the hassles you've described, I'd have to think on that. Anything less than a dream job, and (for me!!) it's not worth it.

But maybe I'm more burned out than you are.

I gave it a ton of thought and from most sims I think I am ok to retire now but since I had already committed to another job and then signed a lease, I am going to give it a try and see if I can do another ~16 months. Partly due to the money already committed and trying to break the lease and also the $1,400 a month in COBRA health insurance is hefty.

A few things I'm also concerned about:
1. High real estate prices
2. Lofty stock market valuations
3. Near zero yield on anything with safety

The combination of those 3 things seems to put financial things at a higher risk than normal times especially with the virus still causing issues and inflation concerns (at least near term).

It is possible I will go back, hate it and quit and then cost me more money but at the same time I'll be earning a solid paycheck for a few months to help recoup some of the expenses. If I hadn't hated my current job, the smartest decision would have been to ride it out longer.

Usually I can grind things out.

My recent team lead told me a while ago "You always whine about stuff but then you always get it all done." I think that is valid. I don't like wasting time or seeing people doing stupid stuff but if I'm doing something, I don't like not getting it done efficiently and accurately.

I think once my wife moves out to be wife me that will help. Now that I'm married it helps to have someone around. When I lost my long time friend last year it was painful and when she wasn't around it was tough (at that time we weren't married and she was still taking care of her mom part time).

This is one of the decisions I really wish I could do both ways and see how things turn out. Sadly no rewinds in life.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.