My Thoughts on the Zoom Poll

My Thoughts on the Zoom Poll

Zoom is up 151.5% since I started this position. It has thus made many, many thousands of dollars for me. A subscription costs me a piddling $15 per month, or $150 per year (which comes out to just $12.50 per month). To put that in perspective, a full ten years of Zoom will cost me all of $1,500. Ten full years!!!

In light of that, I think that it would not only be very ungrateful of me, I think it would be very cheap of me, to not pay for my Zoom subscription. But that’s just the way I think about it.

Best,

Saul

29 Likes

The results of the Zoom poll (so far) would be incredible for Zoom if they held true in the general population! 17 out of 92 respondents have paid for Zoom! That’s 18.5%!

If 18.5% of the 300 million daily participants subscribed, that would be about $8 or 9 billion each year in revenue for Zoom.

Obviously not all participants are unique, and we probably have a higher sign up rate on this board than the general public, but even a fraction of $8 or 9 billion will really move the needle, because this is all gravy on top of their main business which is enterprise, which was already basically doubling each year, and is now probably tripling or better.

Bear

22 Likes

Bear, the poll did not ask about how many have signed up since…some of those may be preexisting customers.

Gordon

1 Like

Bear,

I see people continuously make this mistake. Zoom does not have 300 million users. They have 300 meeting participants. If a user is in 5 meetings a day, they count as 5 participants. If they are in 10, they count as 10.

So Zoom’s usage has 30xed, not their user base.

I still think Zoom’s revenue will grow a lot and probably come in at over 100% YoY growth, but since users don’t have to pay more to attend more meetings, it is not a direct correlation.

4 Likes

Obviously not all participants are unique, and we probably have a higher sign up rate on this board than the general public, but even a fraction of $8 or 9 billion will really move the needle, because this is all gravy on top of their main business which is enterprise, which was already basically doubling each year, and is now probably tripling or better.

With or without a poll it seems that the level of increased exposure and usage of Zoom has got to engender a major if unspecifiable increase in revenues.

I just wanted to add another thought .Many of the new users are enterprise and organizational decision makers who will favorably influence decision making starting in Q2. This is an imponderable which has the potential to significantly boost core business levels beyond those heretofore discussed…

3 Likes

Well, I have to concede, I did not expect any more than 2 or 3 people… 15 was really high number…

is it good to extrapolate this? and the 30x daily meeting participants…

yes but remember all the special situations…

• this board probably represents extreme of the population in terms of ability and willingness to pay for this service… I would dial down this 15% to something like 2% to 3% as you include more general population inthe mix

• Also remember on enterprise side, Zoom gets paid on per host basis… pre-covid, ratio of enterprise host to meeting participants may be 1 to 2, with pretty much everyone on Zoom meeting for all group and all hands meeting, I would think the ratio of host to participants gone to may be 1 to 5.

• For schools, governments, public meetings, broadcast etc, ratio will go down to as much as 1 to 20 or even 1 paid host to 50 participants on an average

So again the growth in number of paid host from pre-covid to post-covid would be much smaller than 30x growth in daily meeting participant… yet it may very well be much higher than their previous revenue growth rate of ~80% to ~120%…

it still leaves a large range and lot of open questions for me, due to such large valuation… … but I might get a nibble at Zoom as opposed to just sit on the side.

1 Like