No. of Recommendations: 0
Odd criticism to make since you are the one who avoids the issue by simply declaring stuff like free will as being contradictory.

Declare? I explain it thoroughly, over and over.

Do you believe any artificial intelligence that approaches human behavior must be conscious and have subjective experiences (qualia)?

I think any artificial intelligence that can pass as behaving very similar to humans would be classified the same as humans regarding subjective experiences and consciousness, yes.

How would you test your belief, whatever it might be? Heck, how would you test whether any thing or entity has subjective experiences?

By their behavior, including their descriptions of their own thinking processes. How else would you 'test' it?

For example, an artificial intelligence that didn't report its own subjective experiences would not be behaving very similar to humans. So I wouldn't think it have subjective experiences or consciousness similar to humans.

Similarly, an artificial intelligence that told me things about its own thoughts and experiences and then behaved completely contradictory to that would make me think it was lying about one or the other.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.