Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've got a question as to what I'm allowed to do at this point.

My wife has a SEP from a previous year. Early this year, we figured her business "income" to be a loss for '98, so didn't expect to qualify for a SEP contribution at all.

We converted all of our non-Roth IRAs to Roth IRAs earlier this year. When figuring the business income for tax filing, there turned out to be a small profit.

So, we sent in a small check to get our little deduction, and a few more dollars into a tax-deferred plan (our other contributions are maxed out).

Now, are we able to convert this newly-invested money into our Roth conversion account, even though we already converted (other funds) from that account this year? Do we have to recharacterize our Roth conversion and then include the extra money when we re-convert?

We'd rather not have such a small amount sitting in an extra account. Part (a small part) of the idea behind converting all the funds to Roths was so we could merge things into a simpler statement. I worry that Vanguard's computers won't allow us to convert this new money because we already converted that "account" this year.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.