No. of Recommendations: 0
Of course, if you're a typical academic living off a grant, being able to put money into a Roth is a pretty good achievement.

I've had a couple things working in my favor: I have no dependents, my stipend has been pretty generous by academic standards, and until recently I was living cheaply (too cheaply) in a moderately expensive area. That said, maxing my IRA contributions have been my highest financial priority (higher even than building an e-fund) for the last four tax years, even though I'm going to have to dip into 2008 earnings or past year savings to fully fund 2007.

That said, I'm 34, so I have some time yet to figure this out. The goal is to get a job where I'm eligible for tax-deferred retirement savings, soon.

Have you talked with what I still like to call "Personnel" (I believe ours call themselves Human Resources). It's possible there's some angle. There may also be a way you can do an IRA and a Roth, but I'm probably wrong. I think some other folk here actually know something.

I have not as I have a low opinion of administrative competence at my sponsoring institution based on past grant application and administration difficulties. The point is a bit moot anyway for 2007 as I overspent last year, implied in the above.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.