No. of Recommendations: 9
Of course it depends on how long this situation lasts, etc. I'm a landlord, too, and it's certainly not cheap to evict someone.

I never said it was cheap. That doesn't change the fact that for those who will end up being evicted (and there are some of those), an eviction postponement is giving away free rent.

I'd certainly rather give someone a month to get things sorted out than to evict someone. I was faced with that last year, and my tenant got his stuff together; he paid the back rent, the fees on the back rent and ended up renewing his lease this year.

Yes, some do manage to cure their issues. But there are still evictions for non-payment that occur all the time, or at least did until some states started not allowing evictions for non-payment during the crisis. The thing is - it appears that at least some renters, despite warnings all over social media, appear to be seeing this as a 'rent holiday', rather than the rent postponement. And how many of those renters are really going to have enough to pay the 3 - 6 months back rent when the postponement ends?

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.