Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
Of course my views may be different from yours simply because I didn't get around to retiring and claiming Social Security benefits until I was 68. Social Security and two small pensions provide more than enough income to satisfy my annual living expenses. RMD is simply transferred from my IRA account to a taxable investment account and invested for future needs and wants.

I retired in my mid-fifties, again my particular circumstances. My wife was ten years older than me, already retired, and with one small pension I started early, her SS, and her IRA we got along alright. I converted my 401k to an IRA, joined Stock Advisor, and for the first time took control of my investments. That was eleven years ago. When my wife passed I started getting survivor benefits off her SS; in a couple of years I will take my own SS, which was always going to be higher and will be 32% higher than that because of waiting until 70 to start. I have been, and could easily continue, to live modestly. But with my portfolio being where it is, I can easily relax and spend a bit. What hurts is that by the time we had the money to splurge my wife wasn't well enough to do much, and now she has been gone for a couple of years. So I am going to spend a bit on travel (if that ever becomes practical while I am able), and a few other things, including helping out some family members.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.