Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Of course that is the market as a whole there are still individual companies that represent reasonable value but there are a lot of companies where they will need an awfully big tailwind to justify their current prices

Wayjo
I haven't figured out yet whether the Fortune article from WB is directed at the US or whether he is talking globally. Given that all markets interact it seems to me that there will still be some countries that will do a lot better that the 7% return predicted by Buffet - over the long term Australia is one of them !!
I think that a lot depends on a country's growth cycle and its resources - the US is probably at its peak (although I have no facts to back that up) whereas Australia still has a long way to go.
Its interesting that Australia is predicted to have a 3% GDP growth in 2002 and 4% in 2003 which I assume is real growth. This is in contrast to the US which is still mired in recession and probably will be for some time despite Greenspan pumping liquidity into the market like crazy. Any increase in US market prices will be as a result of this pumping and not because of a turnround in company profits and productivity.
JMO
Regards
Harmy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.