No. of Recommendations: 3
Of course, you can solve this problem by purchasing a low fee index fund and not touching it for 30 years, but few are savvy enough to do that.

So, call me one of the savvy ones then because that's exactly what I've done.

I have a 403(b), not a 401(k) (non-profit of course) but from the moment I started working full time I invested in it, maxing out the matching (which is $2 for $1 up to 5%/10% of my income, as in I put in $1 and they put in $2... total no-brainer there!) and 100% invested in an S&P 500 index fund. Started it in 2000, haven't touched it since. Low fees (Fidelity FUSEX in case anyone cares).

The only thing that shocked me was how many people told me "I can't afford to do that." IT IS FREE MONEY! How could someone NOT afford to do that?!? Hell, with the $2 for $1 matching even if you picked a lousy plan (and there are lousy options, like TIAA-CREF annuities in a 403(b), rather redundant risk aversion there which hampers returns of course) it's pretty much impossible to not come out ahead and if you start from day 1 you never miss the money because you never had it to begin with!

But... a lot of people don't do it. I don't get it.

Then again I found TMF before I started working full time, hence how I became savvy enough to realize it was a no-brainer. My boss is still working well past when he could have retired (and, wanted to) because he waited until they made him join the plan (which they do eventually, age 35 or something like that, I dunno, it didn't apply to me!) and thus missed out on YEARS of compounded growth and matching fees. I don't even want to think about how much money he left on the table, it could be over a million bucks by now!

So, my only question is how do we encourage more people to become savvy enough to realize these opportunities. I don't think fear-mongering about the stock market (as Dems are wont to do in my experience) or government programs that only encourage financial dependence upon the federal government (like Social Security) are good things in this regard, quite the opposite. All they're encouraging is ignorance on this subject, not education and savvy. Yet I keep getting called "mean" for pointing this out.

It's the same reason you don't feed wild animals man. They become dependent upon the handouts and forget how to feed themselves and eventually starve. We're just bigger, somewhat smarter animals (though sometimes I'm not so sure about the smarter part). The same motivations apply really. I can't in good conscience support the handouts even if they're given fancy names like "Social Security." Not when I compare that to my retirement (which costs me less than I'm paying for SS even BEFORE you count the portion my employer has to match but is all but certain to be worth FAR more when I retire decades hence... I just turned 38).

I don't see the compassion in turning people into government-dependent sheeple, basically.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.