Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 139
Fools,

The majority of the members who use this board have requested that off-topic political posts be placed elsewhere. This is one of the stellar boards in Fooldom, and we agree that it's becoming not much more than another Political Asylum. Therefore, we will begin agressively removing political posts, and we ask you cooperate by not posting them. Since there is so much to remove and you have received notice here, we aren't going to send a message to everyone who has a prior post removed. Going forward, we will do so.

Richard
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 21
"...we will begin agressively removing political posts, and we ask you cooperate by not posting them.."

Talk about heavy-handed. While I agree there have been too many off-topic posts, they have all been clearly labeled OT, and there have been dozens and dozens of replies by many of the denizens of this board. The posts are easy to ignore, so anyone reading thru them has only themselves to blame, to which I might add, mea culpa.

TMF is trying to do the right thing, but I don't think we needed a purge ("Since there is so much to remove..."). I believe TMF should stay out of this as long as off-topic posts are adequately labeled as such (OT) and as long as the tone remains basically civil.

Regards, gg
No. of Recommendations: 51
Talk about heavy-handed.

gg, the light hand didn't work. Over three quarters of the participants asked for an end to the political discussions. They were ignored, and the problem was escalating. I'd prefer that self-policing take the place of administrative intervention, and that's why I waited so long to make that announcement, but it wasn't working.

Richard
No. of Recommendations: 26
I have gained access to the Fool's proprietary database. For the sake of our members...I have no choice but to purge all future 'strategic' plugs for the Fool's Hidden Gems and other guru forecasting letters. I tried to be civil about this....but I've been forced to act.
No. of Recommendations: 3
....besides, this is a 'value' board. Where talking politics while everyone else is out eroding their capital. What else is there to do?
No. of Recommendations: 4
I believe TMF should stay out of this as long as off-topic posts are adequately labeled as such (OT) and as long as the tone remains basically civil.

I agree with you generally regarding OT posts, except where politics and religion are concerned. These subjects are highly contentious and are particularly hard to ignore. While it is true that everyone can just ignore the thread, it is much easier said than done. It is far easier to avoid *starting* a new political thread than it is to avoid *responding* to one that has already been started. It is like someone bringing Krispy Kreme donuts to work for everyone (which is very common here in North Carolina). They are very hard to resist. It is easier to resist the donuts if no one brings them in the first place.

I personally have been guilty of responding to political threads, even though it goes against my better judgment. The "debates" are garbage not worthy of the Berkshire Hathaway board or my time. I have decided to make a determined effort to ignore political posts. I hope that others will do the same, so that those who insist on starting political posts here will instead take then to where garbage is appreciated, such as the Political Asylum board.
....besides, this is a 'value' board. Where talking politics while everyone else is out eroding their capital. What else is there to do?

In one of his letters to the shareholders, Mr. Buffett said we might have been better off had he gone to the movies instead of to work.

So we either go to the movies and see Fahrenheit 9/11, or we post off-topic posts here.
No. of Recommendations: 5
So we either go to the movies and see Fahrenheit 9/11, or we post off-topic posts here.

Or you can go to the Political Asylum board where there are plenty of people who would love to talk about it.
No. of Recommendations: 16
"Over three quarters of the participants asked for an end to the political discussion."

This isn't directed at you personally as I'm sure that this was a group decision (YUCK!!! A herd following GROUP!!!!)... But that sure is an interesting little survey there... If it's derived from some poll on the board I can assure you that I along with I'm sure many others used our right to ignore it - too OT for me. So count me as one who never voted. If it were done with the caveat that THIS vote would determine the insertion of the journalistic equivalent of martial law then I would most certainly have voted - it would then be in the "too important to ignore" category.

I have written my share of OT posts - guilty as accused. And I admit that this forum probably (though not certainly) is not the best forum... I happen to have a deep, profound respect for the members who frequent this board - call it a mini community attracted by a common philosophy in investment theory. There are many many smart people here with political leanings all over the map. Put a lot of smart people in a room.... tell them to keep their brain focused on only one thing.... and see how long that lasts. A lack of suitable investment options makes one come up with alternative things to occupy oneself - Buffett just closed up shop back in the 60s and I'm sure that his evening conversation drifted into say the political.... That said, you never know where it's going to lead...what you may find... what you may discover... it can all come from the strangest of places and the strangest of topics.

If you wish to police the board then that's your right I suppose.... insert some arbitrary little cut squad reading through the traffic to pick and choose only those topics which are deemed on topic. It reminds me of living in Savannah Georgia when the local TV stations refused to air "NYPD Blue" because it was "too offensive" for our innocent little eyes. Never mind that we could turn the channel just as viewers here have all SORTS of options to screen posts. I subsequently boycotted that channel - never watched anything on it again. What is it you want???? What criteria will you use to screen??? Iraq and the threat of an imploding Saudi Arabia isn't related to our investment in Berkshire Hathaway????!!!!!! The election isn't related??? I guess the falling dollar is a tad too OT as well... Or maybe our tax rates? No no no...... I think a more appropriate topic might be the "left leaning press" as it impacts the sales of The Washington Post (a significant Berkshire Holding)....dang@!! Nope...that crosses some ill-defined arbitrary line!! Asbestos litigation too OT too??? Sarbaines Oxley? CEO compensation in general?? If it's myopia we're after then I suppose that's what we'll get. Ho Hum.... Berkshire just minted another $50 million today....yawn..... Hasn't it occurred to anyone that there is NOTHING happening with Berkshire Hathaway recently?? That the investment landscape is generally speaking - overvalued? So let's talk about overvalued Gillette.....(or is Gillette OT for this board now?).. By definition you put a lot of smart people who make up a mini-community into a room and if nothing is happening they're going to create stuff.... If BRK bought White Mountains today I'll bet that the OT topics would end - pronto. That said, if you want to do this without seeming to be totally arbitrary then you'd damn well better be crystal clear on just where the lines are.... so without further ado....PU-LEASE define "OT" for me....the definition will say it all and in many ways define this new board and where we go from here. thanks.

HB
I have a theory why this and other boards (i.e. Yahoo BRK board) are infested by off-topic discussions.
Not much is happening with BRK and there are very few investment opportunities in the stock market right now. We are all addicted to reading and posting. So what else is left to "talk" about but pseudo-politic. Things are so slow that I am tempted to start future trading just to keep myself awake...;-))

GK

P.S. The management should let people post what they want. Removing posts is just going to piss people off. When the market going to make its next big move, the topics of conversation will improve.
No. of Recommendations: 22
"It reminds me of living in Savannah Georgia when the local TV stations refused to air "NYPD Blue" because it was "too offensive" for our innocent little eyes. Never mind that we could turn the channel just as viewers here have all SORTS of options to screen posts."

A more appropriate analogy would be someone running a bunch of cartoons on the Travel Channel. There's nothing wrong with cartoons, it's just that they belong on Cartoon Network (sorry for comparing cartoons, which are highly creative works of art, with political cheerleading which has little merit, in my opinion).

I'm guilty myself of posting political messages, but it was a case of either allowing things to go without rebuttal or jumping in. Game theory says the best solution to this sort of problem is exactly what TMF is doing. Good for them.

DeliLama
No. of Recommendations: 2
We all have the "ignore thread" button we can use
Just curious ..... but now that this thread has degenerated into off topic posts about off topic political posts, will you be deleting it?

AW
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have written my share of OT posts - guilty as accused. And I admit that this forum probably (though not certainly) is not the best forum... I happen to have a deep, profound respect for the members who frequent this board - call it a mini community attracted by a common philosophy in investment theory. There are many many smart people here with political leanings all over the map.

You will notice that nothing was said about OT posts in general, just political posts, which have a tendency to seriously degrade into ugliness.

I think an entirely reasonable solution is to post your political message on the Political Asylum board and post a link to it here. Then at least the arguments would be on the Political Asylum board where they belong, and you can get the input of intelligent members from this board who can follow the link.

It is quite remarkable to me that some people are so adamant about not making this small concession.
Game theory says the best solution to this sort of problem is exactly what TMF is doing

explain, please

--sutton
"Game theory says the best solution to this sort of problem is exactly what TMF is doing. Good for them."

Deli.....but there are many moving parts to the game.. ... my major concern is where the line is drawn and who does the drawing....

Are the below "political" or are they on topic???

"Bush cuts taxes to raise liquidity"
"Iraq war cost overruns - dollar to weaken"
"Kerry wins and promises pension reform"
"Abortion foes end Berkshire charity program!"
"Buffett hired by Kerry"
"Consumer backlash hits French wine sales"
"Kerry medicare reform damages pharms"
"Congress turns down energy reform"

Each one of the above is laden with controversy, opinion, emotion, and politics. Someone or some group at The Fool is now going to play "Content Cop" and pick and choose what is allowed....and what is not. Yea I've got a problem with that - a big problem. Why take my time and energy to compose a post (and it takes a lot of both) when there is the possibility that someone deems it political and yanks it? What if the yanking-police tilt to the right politically? Or to the left? Won't they have a bias? What if certain board participants get "picked on" by our new yank-police? Yank-policeman X doesen't like Deli's content and "finds" something political so bummer...out it goes. All sorts of very bad images are racing through my mind right now. I firmly believe that the board content will police itself over time....naturally. The laws of nature being what they are if there is no interest or audience in certain topics then they will die their natural death... whithering away into nothingness. But try to come in with a heavy hand - and it can't help but be an arbitrary hand - and it will likely get screwed up - effects will take time to play out but there will most certainly be effects. Call it akin to big government deciding what's best for the individual - and as Munger tells us....government screws up most things. So in that Deli I guess we disagree.... I think the idea to be a stupid one... whether the majority approves or not. That said, I guess it's a fait accompli....and as with any executive decree I'm wasting my time by arguing - screw it.

HB

The majority of the members who use this board have requested that off-topic political posts be placed elsewhere. This is one of the stellar boards in Fooldom, and we agree that it's becoming not much more than another Political Asylum. Therefore, we will begin agressively removing political posts, and we ask you cooperate by not posting them. Since there is so much to remove and you have received notice here, we aren't going to send a message to everyone who has a prior post removed. Going forward, we will do so.

Hey Twitty,

Been to LBYM lately?

RJ
my 2 cents:
.....The title is "discussion boards". When you have a company as large as BRK and it includes so many different types of bussinesses, How can you possibly keep from getting into politics and religion?
.....As I said earlier thats why you guys (TMF) put the "ignore thread" button in and the "penalty box" (which I don't use, because someone will ruffle my feathers one day and make me think the next.)
.....Even the companies inside BRK don't agree on politics and religion, that's why the shareholder contribution was stopped.
.....I feel we are all adults or of the adult mentality and should be able to be our own censors.
.....If something is "blatenly" political or religious then move it to the political board with a link and a note as to why you moved it. I've seen you delete what I thought was harmless on the houmor board and leave totally bad stuff on the board.
..................PLEASE LET US BE OUR OWN CENSORS!!!!
No. of Recommendations: 0
How can you possibly keep from getting into politics and religion?

Easy. Just reverse the Nike slogan. Just don't do it.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Twitty,

I think you are walking over a slippery slope here. How are you going to determine what is a political post? If someone brings up a discussion of whether a Catholic can ethically invest in Berkshire given Buffett's support of population control measures, is this a political post? Is it not relevant to a discussion of Berkshire Hathaway? Or what if someone starts a discussion on macroeconomic issues and their implications for equity investing in the current environment, such as raising taxes to stave off high deficits? Or how about a discussion of poverty and the minimum wage? Is that political or economic? When is a movie review just a movie review, and when does it become political? (Parsad was onto something when he noted the idiocy of Disney's (political) decision not to distribute the movie given the cool $25 million it pulled in in its first three days.) More importantly, who decides? And isn't that exercise in power itself a political intervention?

You had better have a pretty clear understanding of what constitutes "political posting", and be able to articulate it to the board, before you start engaging in wholesale board censorship. Let's not forget, you have that nifty "ignore thread" feature (one I've used quite extensively on this and other boards).

PhoolishPhilip
No. of Recommendations: 8
I agree with you generally regarding OT posts, except where politics and religion are concerned.

Whoa, libertarian! I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, to see a libertarian call for censorship because the topic offends his sensibilities. While we're on the topic of banning offensive topics, how about banning gross generalizations about the poor. I find these far more offensive than political or religious topics.

These subjects are highly contentious and are particularly hard to ignore.

While contentious, they are not hard to ignore. Just ignore them! I'm sure you would give the same advice of self discipline to the young single mother contemplating sex, or the minimum wage worker contemplating dropping out of night school. Why not apply your philosophy of individual responsibility to yourself?

It is far easier to avoid *starting* a new political thread than it is to avoid *responding* to one

Ergo it is much easier for McDonalds to stop making fattening and unhealthy food than it is for me to stop eating it. Let's ban fast food! (OT: has anyone seen Supersize Me? What an indictment).

I personally have been guilty of responding to political threads, even though it goes against my better judgment.

What BS. MC, 90% of your posts are political. They are libertarian screeds on the meaning of life and everything else as it pertains to <insert topic you are responding too at the time>. Let's not cast stones, shall we?

PhoolishPhilip
I agree with you generally regarding OT posts, except where politics and religion are concerned.

Whoa, libertarian! I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, to see a libertarian call for censorship

I didn't call for censorship. In fact, in one post I mentioned that I was in favor of self-censorship, but the post was deleted (ironically).

I merely was pointing out my preference that people post political and religious posts somewhere else.

I personally have been guilty of responding to political threads, even though it goes against my better judgment.

What BS. MC, 90% of your posts are political. They are libertarian screeds on the meaning of life and everything else as it pertains to <insert topic you are responding too at the time>. Let's not cast stones, shall we?

Show me a thread on this board that I started that you consider political. If you find one, I would bet that it would be a stretch to call it political.
I think Twitty should apologize for his censorship tactics..no matter how trivial the content...and I'd like to know if the Gardner's approve of this? What was the harm in any of those discussions? I am completely baffled by the Fool.

As Ronald Reagan once said..."Mr. Speaker...This is my microphone! I Paid for this microphone!"
Show me a thread on this board that I started that you consider political. If you find one, I would bet that it would be a stretch to call it political.
===============================================================

...So what! When did it become a sin to have a political discussion(off topic). Yes some found these threads not at all palatable...but censoring them is a bit of a stretch I think. 3/4ths of the board would probably want Ghu to stop asking for a dividend...but that doesn't mean that Ghu's password should be deleted from the Fool database. That's why we have an 'ignore button'. I hope one of the Gardner's come on board and explain to us that they approve or disapprove of Twitty's abusive tactics.

...So what! When did it become a sin to have a political discussion(off topic).

It's not a sin. As I have said over and over again, I merely prefer that people don't start political threads on this board. A very strong majority agrees with me. Why are you so bothered by me stating my opinion?

I figured that if a large majority of the posters on the board didn't want political posts on this board, then the minority that disagrees would be considerate of the majority's wishes. I can see that I was being *way* too optimistic.

If posting political threads brings that much pleasure to you and it is just too difficult to post them elsewhere, then be my guest and post them here. I didn't realize what a sacrifice it was. Now I know.

I wouldn't want to deny anyone that much pleasure or cause anyone that much pain.
No. of Recommendations: 46
The only reason I am accessing TMF BRK board, after paying a subscription fee, is to get information or insights on issues related to BRK and also to get involved in discussions related to BRK. For this reason, I am all for the policy of TMF in enforcing the rule of this board in limiting the posts to BRK related issues.

Obviously, the issues related to BRK can be very diverse, considering the unique nature of BRK with its operating companies in various industries, not to mention the unusually broad reaches of capital allocations by Warren Buffett. For this reason, some might argue that even the purely political posts can be relevant to BRK. I think that is pure B.S. When I am counting more than 100 consecutive posts about Mike Moore's movie, Bush or Iraq war, I know these are not relevant to BRK.

Crying foul about censorship is nonsense. You can always go to Yahoo board or even other TMF boards specifically made for that sort of discussion and post as much as you want about politics. When you signed up for TMF board, you should follow TMF rule.

Some might argue that why bother reading OT posts. That is also B.S. in my opinion because the torrents of OT posts, especially on inflammatory topics such as Iraq war, muddles the whole environment and discourages posters who otherwise might have posted items about BRK related matters. It is hard to talk about business in a lounge when many drunkards are arguing about potical issues next to you.

There is nothing wrong in not saying anything when you don't have any meaningful thing to say. I don't mind reading only a few posts a day if that is all to talk about BRK. Actually, some people argue that there is nothing to talk about BRK nowadays because of the expensive market and all. I think that is nonsense also. I don't remember reading any posts on this board about the unusually high level of amortization of retroactive reinsurance by BHRG in Q1, which lowered Q1 earnings by $100 million, enough to account for the difference between the Q1 '03 earnings. I don't remember reading any posts about the guestimate of the amount of paper loss in Q2 '04 related to foreign currency futures as the USD strengthened a little bit recently. I don't remember reading any posts about the implication of rising interest rates on BRK ---- for instance in increasing interest income from its cash equivalents or increased value of the insurance float.

So my suggestion is, please go to Yahoo board or some political TMF board when you feel like you need to vent your anger, frustration or whatever about politics. Many of us do not need the extra entertainment ( not enlightenment, mind you) these half baked political rants provide.
...So what! When did it become a sin to have a political discussion(off topic). Yes some found these threads not at all palatable...but censoring them is a bit of a stretch I think. 3/4ths of the board would probably want Ghu to stop asking for a dividend...but that doesn't mean that Ghu's password should be deleted from the Fool database.

By the way, you probably ignored it, but I mentioned that I was *not* in favor of censorship by TMF.
Well thus far the vote is for "self censorship" by a slim 51 to 49 majority (just enough for some shenanigans at the ballot box to ring in another Republican victory)....hardly the table pounding 75% as previously claimed (exactly WHERE did that 75% figure come from anyway????). There (best as I can tell) is NO MANDATE to have some third party censor the board for content. Then again, this ain't a democracy so I suppose we'll have to get over it. I think that the complexities involved and the perceptions (however right or wrong) will make for controversy. For all I know The Fool could do a bang-up first rate job on cutting out political content - they could do it perfectly. And....I'd still be pissed. It's a sacred principle at stake here.

Has the board gotten out of hand? In the short term context I think one could make that case. As I firmly believe in personal responsibility to resolve issues I will TRY to censor myself in the future (subject to content and emotion of the day) - That said, I now certainly don't want to give anyone the damn pleasure of cutting any rants deemed as "political" - I'll do it myself and to hell with your damn censorship....and seeing as no one has had the wherewithal or common decency to describe where those "political" lines are drawn then less = more. As there is a community aspect to this I do think it important to keep people engaged during these down times in action at Berkshire....that's pretty much out the window now. You can only talk about foreign currencies so much before getting sucked into politics. So for those who have over the past years clamored for a pure "Berkshire board" - kudos to you.

HB
Well thus far the vote is for "self censorship" by a slim 51 to 49 majority (just enough for some shenanigans at the ballot box to ring in another Republican victory)....hardly the table pounding 75% as previously claimed (exactly WHERE did that 75% figure come from anyway????).

I would imagine that the 75% figure (actually 79% at this time) came from this poll:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20947623

You will notice that this poll is a little different. It just asks if you would like people to post political posts on this board. It doesn't ask if you would like TMF to enforce it. As you can see, an overwhelming majority would prefer that political posts *not* be posted here.

So the problem is that an overwhelming majority want it to stop, but a few people want to continue to do it anyway.
""Well thus far the vote is for "self censorship" by a slim 51 to 49 majority (just enough for some shenanigans at the ballot box to ring in another Republican victory)...."

The post announcing the policy has around 88 rec's the posts complaining about it have around 18. I think it is pretty clear that most people are fine with it. How about giving it up and moving political discussions to another board. Is this issue so important to your life that you can't let it go?

Mad caps poll is whether people would prefer self censorship over TMF censhorship, of course we all prefer it, but it doesnt work. Is it still censhorship if there is no censorship?
"the idiocy of Disney's (political) decision not to distribute the movie given the cool $25 million it pulled in in its first three days"

There decision, I'm sure, took into account numbers like those posted. But it appears they concluded that sometimes things are too objectional to attach yourself to at any price.
"the idiocy of Disney's (political) decision not to distribute the movie given the cool $25 million it pulled in in its first three days"

There decision, I'm sure, took into account numbers like those posted. But it appears they concluded that sometimes things are too objectional to attach yourself to at any price.

While it no longer matters, they probably took into account that the film would take in about $10 million in those three days. That was the estimate I have seen before the actual results (about $22 million) came in. So I imagine Disney's losses were about double what they expected. OTOH, perhaps the public relations value of censoring the movie was more important to them than the financial loss. I read that some cynics believed they were afraid an anti-Bush movie would harm their theme park in Florida. I have no evidence that that is true, but it is believed by some.
Some might argue that why bother reading OT posts. That is also B.S. in my opinion because the torrents of OT posts, especially on inflammatory topics such as Iraq war, muddles the whole environment and discourages posters who otherwise might have posted items about BRK related matters. It is hard to talk about business in a lounge when many drunkards are arguing about potical issues next to you.

I've had this argument before with Usuallyreasonable, but there is a simple solution available. IGNORE THE THREAD! Unlike some posters on this board, I don't feel the need to interject in every thread that is posted on this board. Indeed I ignore the majority of threads upon finding the topic uninteresting or offensive. The idea that you have to interject yourself into the drunken political rantings of the table next to your is absurd and a complete abdication of any personal responsibility (not to mention decorum). I find it ironic that the people complaining the loudest about OT political posts are the same folks who contributed the most to the allegedly offensive thread. EXERCISE SOME SELF DISCIPLINE and use the resources the Fool has made available to us. Censorship is not the solution.

PhoolishPhilip
I, for one, didn't respond to this poll because it was a weighted question. Count me out of any policy that restricts public speech. It might just be me but I kinda like that right of our democracy even though others continuously try to eliminate it through its proscription in "private" spaces.
But it appears they concluded that sometimes things are too objectional to attach yourself to at any price.

I am sure fundamentalist christians wouldn't agree with this assessment of Disney's corporate decision making processes. Again I ask, when is something political and when isn't it political?
<Fools,

Richard >

Richard,

this is a great step. But I would like to see some consistency. Could we please see the same kind of policing on the Retire Early Board. It is sickening to see postings on that board such as
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20959210.
That board has also become nothing other than another Political Asylum. Once in rare blue moon I actually happen to find a posting dealing with early retirement. But it is too rare.
I, for one, didn't respond to this poll because it was a weighted question. Count me out of any policy that restricts public speech. It might just be me but I kinda like that right of our democracy even though others continuously try to eliminate it through its proscription in "private" spaces.

Nonsense. It merely asked if you wanted political posts to continue on this board. It didn't say anything about restrictions. I was hoping that the small minority who would like to continue posting political messages on this board would be considerate of the wishes of the overwhelming majority and voluntarily stop doing it.

It's kind of like passing gas in a room full of people. Sure, relieving the pressure is pleasurable for you, but most people would prefer that you do it elsewhere. Most people voluntarily make the concession of going elsewhere or restraining themselves out of consideration for others. This is not always the case though. Some people aren't as considerate of others and just let it rip. In a free society, they have every right to do so, which is unfortunate for everyone else.
>
> There(sic) decision, I'm sure, took into account numbers like those
> posted. But it appears they concluded that sometimes things are too
> objectional(sic) to attach yourself to at any price.
>

Of course, in this case, it wasn't "objectional" material at all, it was their sweetheart deal with Jeb Bush's folks in Florida that they were looking out for.

MSNBC last night showed angry shareholders wanting to know where their $25 million dollars is. Hint: They won't be getting it back from Eisner.
"That said, if you want to do this without seeming to be totally arbitrary then you'd damn well better be crystal clear on just where the lines are.... so without further ado....PU-LEASE define "OT" for me....the definition will say it all and in many ways define this new board and where we go from here. thanks."

I'll take a stab at it. If, in your post, you cannot think of any way to relate the subject to BRK, it's off-topic. If you think it is related to BRK, just include that in your post.

I am new to this board. I thought it'd be a great place to learn something about BRK. So far, I've learned there are few liberals, many conservatives, and a bunch of people who write idiotic things like "the thing I can't stand about liberals is that they stereotype conservatives." There's also some stuff about BRK, but there don't seem to be many replies in those threads.

If you want a place to have these discussions with your TMF BRK friends, go to yahoo and create a group called TMFBRKOfftopic.

Dan
but there is a simple solution available. IGNORE THE THREAD

I regret that I'm adding to the OT thread about the OT threads, but I feel that I have to comment. I agree with you in principle, but this was an exceptional situation. When the BRK thread shows me over 20 new posts, and when I click on it and find two screens worth of "ignored thread yap", either I don't belong here or things have gotten out of hand.

I applaud TMF staff for their reasoned and measured handling of this situation. If any of you are truly dissatisfied, start a "BRK with politics" thread. I promise to stay away, and I'm sure TMF will let those who choose to particpate screed away to their heart's content.
"Outstanding policy", said the Donkey.

"Indubitably", replied the elephant.

-Steve

Hello TMFTwitty,

I came across your posts on the best of board, and read with interest the questions put in you capacity as a TMF administrator on various contextual topics regarding such things as 'what is OT on this board', 'what is 'political', etc etc.

I have noticed that you have not replied to these well thought out posts. I noted that you have posted on other boards so you are around, but you seem to have gone 'deaf' to these posters you seem to be saying, in this post, you are 'protecting'.

Which is it, protection or censorship?

Where did you get your figures from for this 'majority'?

As an aside, why do TMF US (TMF UK is fantastic) delete a post, and then when questioned on the why (or disputed the why), never, in my experience, reply to emails.

I pay for this 'service' and recieve non really apart from posters responses.

TMF US, has on their home page a 100% guarantee/satisfaction pledge, well, "I aint getting no satisfaction" (from the staff), and it would seem that posters are being ignored.

Does TMF US take the money and run, I think not, but my impression, growing by the day seems to point to this being the case.

I have complained to TMFGrow (the beaded one) over in the UK in the hope that he can somehow get through to TMF US as I cannot, his reply said that you do not have a large staff - where does all the money go and why not??

I expect a reply to this post in your capacity as a TMF staff member (or you can delegate).

While this post may come across as a little stroppy, I am not an obstreperous Fool, just a midly miffed one and I think there are a fair few others about who would question some of the decisions made recently, specifically with regards to questions asked and answers not recieved

Yours faithfully,

Shaggydabbydo

PS. I'm probabily going to eat humble pie some time soon when I am shown where you have answered these points somewhere else on this board, but I had a mooch, and could not find them, hence, this post.

Shaggy
thank you TMF !!!
:D
:D
I have a theory why this and other boards (i.e. Yahoo BRK board) are infested by off-topic discussions.
Not much is happening with BRK and there are very few investment opportunities in the stock market right now.

wow..so cool! i came up with the exact same theory! except OT posts on politics still suck..

vg