Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm doing some advance research and calculations for 2012 so I can decide about possibly offsetting some capital gains from stocks against a loss on the sale of a rental house.

We sold our rental house this year at a loss taking into account the cost of the house/land, improvements, and cost of selling it.

Can this loss offset capital gains from stocks? I'm thinking not because it looks like the sale of the house goes on line 14 of the 1040 form and capital gains from stock goes on line 13. (I'm looking at the 2011 form 1040 as an example).

The loss on the sale of the house will more than offset the gain on stocks, but it looks like I can use the loss on the house against ordinary income and thus it would still be advantageous to come up with a stock loss to offset the stock gain.

Am I figuring correctly?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.