Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi there,
I have a question.

How are losses on shares dealt with when off-setting against property gains? ( i.e. what rates ?)


I shall be selling a rental property quite possibly in this financial year.

I expect to make capital gains on the disposal.

I am presently carrying shares which have lost value.

I intend to sell these shares and crystallise their losses partially to offset the capital gains on the property.

As I understand it the capital gains taxes on property are at 18% and 28 % depending on personal tax thresholds.

Also as I understand it.. the capital gains taxes on shares are 10 %.

When I come to realise a capital gain on this property I expect to pay some tax at 18% and the rest at 28 %.


How are losses on shares dealt with when off-setting against property gains? ( i.e. what rates ? )

I would appreciate some help with this. I shall be using a chartered accountant to handle my tax affairs in the event of these disposals, however knowing in advance of the tax arrangements would help me to take decisions.

yours etc... Premnay
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.