Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Oh, and a question. How are interest payments on CDs and Savings accounts taxed? Is it considered capital gains, or is it in a seperate category? I tried looking around google but wasn't able to find an answer yet

Companies selling you CDs (or savings accounts) will send you a 1099-INT for taxes. It's not capital gains; it's just interest. So you get taxed at whatever rate the rest of your income is taxed. If you do multiple year CDs, you typically pay taxes on the interest all at the end when you actually get the money. Oh yeah, and they should be FDIC insured, so you don't lose your money (up to 250k) if the bank fails.

My suggested gameplan is:
(1) Spend less than you earn each month. (I tend to put it all in excel. I was a math major; I'm just like that.)
(2) Set up emergency fund in a high interest, accessible account. Mine's ~3xmonth pay. (some say 6x. It's based on security of your job.)
(3) Max yearly contributions to an IRA.
(4) Invest as much additional money as possible in taxable accounts.

Oh, a tax thing about stocks in general. You need to keep the statements when you buy them, because when you eventually sell you need to be able to prove cost basis.

Print the post  


Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.