No. of Recommendations: 0
Oh, I haven't been blaming my iMac...

I phrased it poorly.

I should have said that Steven is likely right: It's a server problem, not an e-mail client problem, so the best thing to do is not change anything on your Mac (like reentering account information) but rather just let the issues get cleared up on the server.

In the case of Yahoo mail, even when I get these rejected password problems many times during the day, it's sporadic enough that my mail gets through between the false rejections.

I may be wrong about this, but I get the impression that the dialog box that pops up (warning me that Yahoo rejected my password and please reenter it) doesn't actually prevent Apple Mail from checking e-mail even when the dialog box hasn't been dismissed. I get this impression because sometimes I leave my desk for a couple of hours only to return to see that dialog box has popped up, yet e-mails from Yahoo have arrived on my Mac. Since I use Yahoo as IMAP mail, I don't know how often the client has checked for e-mail (or how often the server has pushed e-mail to me?), but given how long my absences can be, it's not inconceivable that the password was rejected soon after I left while Apple Mail kept checking the account "behind" that dialog box, explaining the arrival of mail despite the "rejection."

(Perhaps someone can correct my impression that that particular dialog box is a nonmodal dialog box. I can't induce its appearance to double-check this impression, as far as I know.)

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.