Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 26
Christianity As State Religion Supported By One-Third Of Americans, Poll Finds

Although the North Carolina House of Representatives killed a bill Thursday that would have paved the way for establishing an official state religion, a new national HuffPost/YouGov poll finds widespread support for doing so.

The new survey finds that 34 percent of adults would favor establishing Christianity as the official state religion in their own state, while 47 percent would oppose doing so. Thirty-two percent said that they would favor a constitutional amendment making Christianity the official religion of the United States, with 52 percent saying they were opposed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/06/christianity-state-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Scary, just plain scary.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Be glad they are a definite minority. I would be more nervous if they were about 50% (and looking for a new country if they were at 60%).

As it is, they're outnumbered 2:1. I can live with that.
No. of Recommendations: 9
We should not be surprised -- we already have plenty of evidence that 20-30 percent of Americans are imbeciles.

Wessex
No. of Recommendations: 4
poll finds widespread support for doing so

Another opportunity to appreciate the founders who decided that the 1st amendment would be a good idea.
I LOLed today at a bumper sticker I saw at Ikea:

"I have no problem with God. It's his fan club I can't stand."

rj
So much for "freedom of religion"
This is probably the same 34% who believe the world is 5000 years old and cavemen ate dinasaur burgers.
I'm pretty sure that if you ask Americans "Should Christianity be our official state religion?", about a third of them will think "What, you mean it isn't?" or "What, someone wants to change it?" -- and then answer "Yes, it should be."
No. of Recommendations: 3
kenora says

So much for "freedom of religion"

These folks figure "freedom of religion" means freedom to establish Christianity as the official religion.
I'm not surprised - a lot of people support a state religion - as long as it's THEIR religion. Poll those same people how they would feel if the state religion was one different than their own, and the support probably goes to 0.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm pretty sure that if you ask Americans "Should Christianity be our official state religion?", about a third of them will think "What, you mean it isn't?" or "What, someone wants to change it?" -- and then answer "Yes, it should be."

and I took the poll to be saying only 15% think Chritianity already
is official religion

--Poly Annas
Perhaps we should simply sit back and watch various Christian sects duke it out as official religion. Not to mention argue whether Mormonism is a Christian sect or not.
Perhaps we should simply sit back and watch various Christian sects duke it out as official religion.

I suspect you are not serious, but Progressives and Liberals saying and doing nothing is the surest way to have the worst happen.

Remember, there is virtually no lie or dirty trick that right-wingers will not say or adopt.

Wessex
Perhaps we should simply sit back and watch various Christian sects duke it out as official religion. Not to mention argue whether Mormonism is a Christian sect or not.

-----------------------

Maybe they will all just kill each other off - and FINALLY leave the rest of us in peace.

AM