No. of Recommendations: 0
Oh.

Lunatic U closing is old news. I posted the following last June when it was announced:

Having lived within 15 minutes of Lunatic U (Antioch, Yellow Springs) for more than 20 years, I can tell you that I applaud its closing; this gives me some degree of hope that America isn’t totally insane.

Whatever Antioch used to be, it has become a tightly orchestrated intellectually homogeneous and intensely intolerant environment. Quite frankly, had my children for some obscure reason chosen to attend Antioch, I would have simply told them I wouldn’t pay for it.

In the summer of 2006, my daughter attended an acting workshop at Antioch in their theatre building. One wall in the lobby of that building is a mural given over to the theme of faces, said faces apparently purporting to represent people from around the world. While waiting for my daughter one day, I studied that wall. When my daughter came out, I pointed her to that wall and asked her; “what do you think of that?". Her response; “I don’t know, what?".

I said; “There are no pictures of white males on this mural. What do you think of that.”

Her response: “Hmmmmm. Strange.”

That, along with their highly publicized code of “sexual ethics” about sums it up. Antioch was clear off the charts with respect to their ideology, and clearly there are not enough lunatics in the US to support them. This can only be considered encouraging.

The university experience is supposed to be a time of exploration. Universities flourish in an environment of openness, in an environment where ideas are freely expressed and exchanged. Antioch had become the literal antithesis of this free exchange, and this is the price that school pays.

The rest of the University establishment in this country should take note. Antioch was the extreme, but many other universities are marching down the same path.

Duke University, having recently led with its chin in its determination to find three young men innocent as accused, may soon give us another example to look at as much of its endowment is stripped away to pay the punitive damages.

We can only hope

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/06/19/botstein
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.