Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I didn't even know that Dumpster Diving existed until today when I read a post on the LBYM board and then came looking for this one...this totally blows my mind. I have an obsession with Free Stuff but I never considered DD. This will change my world. I must now read this entire board and all links contained herein. Thank you! :-)
Print the post Back To Top
Hey yef, welcome aboard!

Have fun reading the posts. Some of them are a little OT bantering for a while but there's good stuff in there too.

Fear not those that would dump on Dumpster Diving - a noble cause indeed. To reclaim poor abandoned objects seeking rebirth after callous disposal by the teeming masses....inspiration indeed!

Laura
RRRRR (reduce,reuse,recycle,renew,repair)

This will change my world. I must now read this entire board and all links contained herein. Thank you! :-)

Don't thank us until you've read the entire board and all the links mentioned therein!

phantomdiver
always glad to see a new poster!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Laura
RRRRR (reduce,reuse,recycle,renew,repair)

Hey, Laura, if your lawnmower won't start, you can always get it fixed, you know. You shouldn't just have to listen to that RRRRR sound.

Or was it your blender? Disposal? Car? . . . Old dog?

phantomdiver
grinning, ducking, and running
...You shouldn't just have to listen to that RRRRR sound...
phantomdiver
grinning, ducking, and running

Ah, but you've employed your "grin, duck & run" so many times in the past, you are now entirely predictable.

I now know when to throw my recycled encyclopedia at you for a well-timed, well deserved thwack.

Laura
I just knew that out-of-date encyclopedia was good for something
Hey yef,

I believe it was my post on the LBYM board that sent you here, (I took offense on our behalf and explained to someone there that DD does not mean Desperate!) -- so I say, welcome aboard!!
I believe it was my post on the LBYM board that sent you here, (I took offense on our behalf and explained to someone there that DD does not mean Desperate!) -- so I say, welcome aboard!!

Yes, I believe you're right! When I first read the "depression-era" category I agreed with it, but soon after my outlook changed 180 degrees. :)

I went round the back of my neighborhood Barnes and Noble yesterday to check out the dumpster situation. It was pretty bright out and there were 3 baseball games going on not more than 100 feet away and there were lots of people around, so I didn't open any of them, but there were 3 "mini" dumpsters (the type you can wheel around by hand) one of which was recyclables. Looks promising!

I went round the back of my neighborhood Barnes and Noble yesterday to check out the dumpster situation.

We ought to cover this in the FAQ, if it ever gets written. Patrick, how's that going? Are you going to get to it after exams?

You may well find books in bookstore dumpsters, and they will likely have their covers torn off. I don't care -- you can still read them. However, it means that the author never got a royalty. So I think it's immoral to resell them at yard sales. Long story. Anyway . . .

It was pretty bright out and there were 3 baseball games going on not more than 100 feet away and there were lots of people around,

This is why Patrick and I dive at night or in the early morning.

so I didn't open any of them, but there were 3 "mini" dumpsters (the type you can wheel around by hand) one of which was recyclables. Looks promising!

Except that those might be a profit source to the stores. They might just get paid for those recyclables. If the store doesn't, somebody sure does, so I think it's stealing to take recyclables. I think it's right to take only stuff that is destined for a landfill. That's why another name for DD is "urban wastestream recycling."

What does everybody else think?

phantomdiver
Except that those might be a profit source to the stores. They might just get paid for those recyclables. If the store doesn't, somebody sure does, so I think it's stealing to take recyclables. I think it's right to take only stuff that is destined for a landfill. That's why another name for DD is "urban wastestream recycling."

I agree, I'm not in the business of collecting other people's recyclables for my own profit. But if coverless books and magazines are in the recyclable bin, is that OK (assuming I want to read said book)?

But if coverless books and magazines are in the recyclable bin, is that OK (assuming I want to read said book)?

Well -- I don't think they would be. They have glue on them, and they are made up of at least two different kinds of paper.

phantomdiver
but there were 3 "mini" dumpsters (the type you can wheel around by hand) one of which was recyclables. Looks promising!

Except that those might be a profit source to the stores. They might just get paid for those recyclables. If the store doesn't, somebody sure does, so I think it's stealing to take recyclables. I think it's right to take only stuff that is destined for a landfill.
That's why another name for DD is "urban wastestream recycling." What does everybody else think? phantomdiver

I don't take the stuff out of the recycle bins. Just the things that are in waste bins & destined for landfills. If I did want, say cardboard boxes from the cardboard bin, I would ask the store owner. Someone usually is paid something per pound, can, etc, for the recyclable stuff.

You may even be doing some places a favor by reducing their waste. Some merchants pay per pound for removal of non-recyclable waste.

Laura
summary: can paperback books be recycled?

All I know is that in the City of Cambridge, MA, the answer is yes. We did some dumpster diving in the abandoned stuff in our old basement, trying to get the basement clean enough to set up a workshop.

Most of the boxes of books were very moldy and unsalvagable. We called a local DPW, and they said we could recycle them. We were glad to hear we wouldn't have to throw them away.

-Megan

We did some dumpster diving in the abandoned stuff in our old basement, trying to get the basement clean enough to set up a workshop.

Hmmmm. Basement-diving. A new sport. :-)

Most of the boxes of books were very moldy and unsalvagable. We called a local DPW, and they said we could recycle them. We were glad to hear we wouldn't have to throw them away.

Good to know -- thanks!

phantomdiver
who hopes there are no moldy books in her basement but would not swear to it
No. of Recommendations: 1
Most businesses don't recycle for profit per se, but it does add to the bottom line in this manner:

1) Garbage gets hauled away by the pound.
2) Recycling company leaves a free recycle bin behind the business for recyclable materials.
3) The recyclable materials go to the recycling company for free.
4) The business pays less in garbage fees.

This is the normal situation, as long as the recycling company gets enough materials out of its bin to make it worthwhile.

I used to manage a grocery store. We saved the meat market scraps (the bone man got them -- dog and cat food), the old produce ( a local farmer took it for his pigs), all the cardboard (a container company), about 80% of paper, plastic, metal and glass is recyclable as well. This saved my store about $1000 a month in trash fees.

JB