Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Oh Shoot!  I Cannot Believe I am doing this!

Okay, I just ran across this and just HAD to share it (because I am an idiot, I suppose)

Are you one of those people who bought a first home and got a $7500 credit?  One of the people paying it back $500 a year as part of your tax bill?  If you are and if you lost that home through foreclosure or through the destruction of the house, then there may be a form you need to check out.  It is form 5405 and it allows you to get out of rest of that debt IF you lost the house through foreclosure, condemnation, or destruction of the home.  The form looks intense, but it could save you $7000.  If you were in the path of a tornado, not-so-perfect storm, or other natural disaster, Check This Out.

I don't know any more about this than what I have put here.  I saw it and thought it was interesting and might possibly save someone some money.  I am on my third house in 40 years, so obviously I will not be filling this form out.  Good Luck!  

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.