Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would appreciate help in figuring out how to report the OID and interest, for secondary-market TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protected Securities), which I bought in 2006.

The issue matures 1/15/2008. I paid a premium (101.156 per bond X 30 bonds).

The brokerage sent me a statement, with a 1099-OID. The OID section lists an amount, with a negative sign after the number: 241.40-

...and also a Total, which is a positive number: 241.40.

Should I enter the OID into the tax software as a negative or a positive number?

Does the OID take the premium I paid, for the bond, into account? If not, when should I record the capital loss (since it will mature at par, plus the inflation adjustment)?

I also paid accrued interest, on the bonds. The broker's 1099 reports that accrued interest as $215.48, but my transaction confirmation reports it as $226.69.

I have to call the broker, to get the correct amount.

My question is: how do I report the accrued interest?

Thank you,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.