Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well... I checked out the Oil Board (thanks Lance) but had no idea what they were talking about. Maybe I should visit more often just to pick up the thread of their conversation. Certainly couldn't hurt.

But, the real lesson I learned from the past two weeks (which is no indication of the total history or what the future may bring - legal disclaimer) is as follows: Oil stocks go up when technology ones go down. Why is that? Because Oil is seen as a 'sure thing' whereas technology stocks are generally risky?

- Shari
Print the post Back To Top
>>>But, the real lesson I learned from the past two weeks (which is no indication of the total history or what the future may bring - legal disclaimer) is as follows: Oil stocks go up when technology ones go down. Why is that? Because Oil is seen as a 'sure thing' whereas technology stocks are generally risky?<<<

I'd be careful of viewing this recent occurence as being a consistent correlation. Technology has had a variety of factors hitting it, including incredible expectations that couldn't possibly be met. The end result has been something of a sell-off recently.

Oil related stocks have recently benfitted from the price of oil futures staying above the $18.00 per barrel level. A variety of factors are involved here, including an improving world economic outlook.

Coincidence, not correlation. At least as I see it, anyway.
The 'co-incidence' happened again. Technology takes a battering and oil is up. I wonder how I compare these two markets... hm...

- Shari
>>>The 'co-incidence' happened again. Technology takes a battering and oil is up. I wonder how I compare these two markets... hm...<<<

The bigger picture has technology up significantly over the past 12 months, as has the oil sector. One could draw a conclusion opposite to the one being floated in the past couple of posts if a different set of data are used in the evaluation. I'd be VERY careful with this one...
I wish it was that easy, tech goes up oil goes down, vice versa. Or what about the days they both went down or even when they both went up. What to make of that, not much.

Tidewater will have the same bumps up and down for the most part as the rest of the oil service stocks. Oil prices are what drive the price for the long haul. Sustain the current price levels per barrel for several more months, then companies start gettting contracts (drilling, exploration, etc..) business picks up for TDW because they will service these drilling exploration companies. This is a terrible simplified explanation, they do a better job on the Oil Services board but the price of oil is what matters the most.

What will keep the price of oil up? Many factors, OPEC compliance with cutbacks probably the biggie though.

ANyways, we have a long way to go. Tidewater is a good company and the dividend makes the slow/down times easier to deal with.

Lance

I know you guys are right. I guess I am looking for a oily silver lining to deal with my technology clouds. Sigh.

- Shari