Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, here's the deal: I'm 19 and living under my parents' roof (yay, semi-free ride), and also attend college full-time, and have a part-time job. We've already figured out I can't take my own deduction, that belongs to my parents (even if they don't claim it, I couldn't either, right?). What I want to know is:

1- Can I claim any deductions, such as the various deductions available to college students?

2- Are there any other brilliant methods for reducing my tax bill available to me?

***Wes, I doubt you will find that your deductions exceed your standard deduction. Generally, there are no special benefits available to college students, especially when it comes to post secondary education, for those who are just starting out.

You may put up to $2,000 in a deductible IRA, if you have that much in taxable wages, or other emloyment income. Your taxable income will be reduced by the amount you put in that IRA. If you take this money out before qualfied (generally age 59 & 1/2) you would have to pay tax and, perhaps penalty, on both what you had contributed and whaterver had accumulated in that account.

You might rather opt to put up to $2,000 into a Roth IRA. This would be non-deductible but when you take qualifed distributions (generally, after you turn 59 & 1/2), there is never to be a tax on the contribution or the accumulations in that account. That could be a nice chunk of non-taxable change down the road. This is especially true at your age, if you manage to keep investing through the years.

Your parents may qualify for up to $1500. in refundable credits for your first two years of postsecondary education. This is known as "The
Hope Scholarship Credit".

Hope this helps!=:)

Good Luck,

"Jack"

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.