Skip to main content
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon. | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
ok, i just started googling a little about 504....

i read the below, and my first, gut, reaction is ....disability??????

your daughter doesn't have a disability, she has a manageable personal health issue. having her declared a disability is going to have a lot of consequences down the line. tell them to back off, tell them the initial diagnosis may not be correct...tell them you will deal with it.
i know i am sounding a little crazy here, but there is no way if it were one of my kids would i let them start a file on her.

just have a meeting with her gym teacher and tell her/him that your daughter is occasionally excused from participation on her own say so (due to hypoglycemia - and then explain what that is, and that she may need to consume 1/3 - 1/2 of a 12 oz soft drink).

she doesn't need any special program.

after an initial time period for adjustment to the insulin regime, and experiencing and recognizing hypoglycemia, she is going to be totally independent!!!! of course you will always worry about her, but she is going to get on top of this.

"It is a plan designed to accommodate the unique needs of an individual with a disability, as required by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is the first civil rights law guaranteeing equal opportunity for more than 35 million Americans with disabilities.

Children who have disabilities, but whose disabilities do not interfere with their ability to progress in general education are not eligible for special education services, may be entitled to a 504 Accommodation Plan.

School districts must ensure that students with disabilities have meaning full opportunities to participate in all aspects of school on an equal basis with students without disabilities.

Depending upon the student's individual needs, a school district may be required to provide the following: specialized instruction, modifications to the curriculum, accommodations in non-academic and extra curricular activities, adaptive equipment or assistive technology devices, an aide, assistance with health related needs, school transportation, or other related services and accommodations. "

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.