Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Ok, I think I see what is happening.

So you are seeing a bid/ask... You are offering to transact immediately (buying at ask, selling at offer). ok.

By breaking the order into <100 share lots, my best guess is the following:

- The internalizer that TDA uses (I think Citadel) guarantees a tighter bid/offer than advertised, because by executing all of TDA trades, they can guarantee they aren't dealing with a sharpy (on average) vs. standard market making (which is the NBBO bid / ask listed). My experience would say that generally you will only get fractional penny improvements here though...

- Depending on exchange as well, 99 share lots are guaranteed favorable execution in some instances (they sweep with the nearest transaction price) but I don't think that would apply in this case, and I'm rusty on the exact rule here.

Maybe others have some thoughts. When I'm back home, i have a text book I may be able to poke at here with some info...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.