No. of Recommendations: 4
OK- I'll play, too

1. Backpacking trip.
Never have, couldn't afford it when young, not so interested today..

2. Solo trip.
Many later for business, but the first was at 18, off to Chicago on my own, for DeVry Tech Institute, a kickstarter nudge to get started since I had blown off college, couldn't really afford it, really stretched my parents, my part-time helper job in a machine shop just wasn't kicking in enough there, so I bailed.. later, many, too many days, weeks, months in motels, hotels on jobs or training all over the country, and overseas.

3. Luxury trip.
Of course! Biggest recent one was the Viking Midnight Sun run, but while others, Viking River runs were close seconds, others we've gone on our own, plan ahead as we can.. First one, 1979 to Greece! All fun, interesting, challenging..

4. Romantic trip.
Probably that first trip to Greece, a week on land, the send week on a small ship.. Ancient Greece trip.. Need to digitize this slides!

5. Road trip.
Many, many hotels, motels, tent cabins, camping, trailer trips all over the West, Southwest, Northwest, Canada... Better and better!

6. Cruise trip.
Yes, a few.. Tahiti, Hawaii, Fiji, Greece, Australia, Norway, Scotland, Amsterdam-Budapest, St Petersburg-Moscow, all great trips, can't afford every year, so we skip as needed, go camping instead..

7. Off the grid trip.
With our camping, some of it is dry-camping, took a bit to get a decent trailer to get by OK. Older times, some of us guys would go off to play out in the Nevada desert, beer, motorcycles, food for the week, what could go wrong?

8. Last minute trip.
From home, sure, a quick run to the coast for a hike, chowder, crab sandwiches... Lately its been off to a memorial service for old friends, family..

9. A trip that scares you.
The one that did initially make me nervous was the St Pete-Moscow one, no idea what the entry, exit would be like, and, yes, it was as bad as expected, even with the right paperwork, a semi-mad-confusion, on our own.. In the end, glad we did it, many beautiful memories, great guides, etc.. Never would do it on my own, unless I at least could read, speak the language..

For me, us (married since '62), it' is surprising when we stop to look back at what we have managed to do, since we started out at zero, getting by on old used cars, renting little places, ... All is well.. Doing things, going places our parents never even dreamed of.. Hope to continue while we still can! Keep on moving'!

weco
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.