Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
OK I'll admit I'm a bit confused by Kay-Bee Toys. It used to be strictly an inside-the-mall retail toy store, and some still are. Lately, though I've been running across Kay-Bees that are the toy store equivalent of MacFrugal's, with 1-5 year old clearance toys taking up half their shelf space. I've seen these in regular malls and outlet malls in Arizona and California.

So I guess the rule of thumb is: If your local Kay-Bee is a "regular" store then lots of JAKK product is good for JAKK shareholders. If your local Kay-Bee is a discount dumping ground, then lots of JAKK product is bad. You'll be able to recognize the discount material because the price is written in red ink with the old black ink price being crossed out.

A few months back, I went to one of the discount dumping ground Kay-Bee stores and they had hundreds and hundreds of Toy Biz WCW figures discounted as low as 3 for $5. I only saw one JAKK item in the whole load, which made me conclude that either JAKK had been spared from the deep discounting or the JAKK product that had been discounted sold much better than the Toy Biz stuff.

Kay-Bee has always been famous among doll and action figure collectors for having product out for deep discount that never hit the shelves for regular price. To this day, most of the rare 1988 Galoob Star Trek Next Generation Figures that I see in the package (Tasha Yar, Antican, Selay, Q, Ferengi) have $1.99 Kay-Bee discount stickers on them. I've even seen 1980's Robotech and Star Wars items emerge on Kay-Bee's shelves more than 10 years after they stopped production.

It used to be that Kay-Bee had maybe one rack or one table of discount stuff per store but lately there have been stores where it seems the whole stock is on clearance. Again this is probably just a local phenomenon.

I'm glad to hear that the "normal" retail Kay-Bees are well-stocked with Jakks Pacific merchandise. Let us know if it changes. Thanks!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.