Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, I've had a chance to read the interview. In short, El-Erian recently wrote a book in which he postulates that that the U.S. consumer is in big trouble and that consumer spending will slow dramatically, but that this does not necessarily spell doom for the global economy because the growing middle class in emerging markets is becoming such a force. He says that while a typical U.S. investor has 80% of their stock holdings in U.S. companies, they would be much better off having a third in the United States, a third in industrialized countries outside of the U.S., and a third in emerging markets.

Of course, this decoupling theory is nothing new, but the article is definitely worth checking out. If what El-Erian says is true, it is quite bullish for commodities in the long run. I am considering adding this book to the list of ones that I want to buy. The main reason why I haven’t bought it already is the advertisement that I saw for it in a financial paper the other day. At the bottom of the ad, it had a testimonial from a famous person who had read the book and was saying how great it is. Who is this person you ask? Alan Greenspan gruppppp (excuse me I just threw up in my mouth).

Deej
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.