Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
My Michelin tires are not ready for primetime, and we had a road trip to do. So we took the 2007 Camry Hybrid with 95000 miles for the jaunt.
Remember this, I live in the hills and mountains. We had a 290 mile plus trip, 3 interstates, up steep and rolling grades. We left at 7 AM for a training appointment in Connecticut.

At the end of the day, I had achieved 37.6 mpg on the "liar" meter. Tank was reading roughly half.

I filled the car at 510 miles, and put 13.4 gallons in it. I typically fill after the shutoff, which in this case was an extra .7 gallons.

On the way back, it's more uphill and steeper grades, and I was in more of a hurry to get home. The end reading at my driveway was 36.7 mpg.

My driving style is fast, but conservative on gas. On the way down I went 70/75. On the way back I went 80/85, down to 70 uphill.

Now tell me about the EPA stickers and how cars react. I didn't baby it, but I don't drive like a dead weight either. I have no problem getting 36 combined out of this old car at all. There is one company who's cars I have driven where the spa ratings are so off as to be pretty ridiculous, total fabrications actually.

I tire of the "you need to know how to drive" excuses. Yes, many people keep their foot on the gas too much. But not testers that are trying to achieve a figure and due their best to practice it.

The new Camry Hybrid should be doing much better than this car, especially in the around town loops. Again, no problem meeting or exceeding their sticker ratings. Only one brand consistently fails by a huge margin to equal their epa ratings. (that I know of)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.