Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, so much for posting from memory without last year's return in front of me. My apologies for misstating the situation.

Given the multiple unusual items for 2011, we had a CPA prepare them. We did claim him as a deduction on the parent return. We had to have a separate return filed for him, as he received more than 10 years of SS benefits in 2011. (His dad became disabled when he was an infant.) I did not prepare our taxes last year, due to large lump-sum payments for both husband and child, along with repayment of disability insurance payments from the SS proceeds. (The repayment then triggered reduction credits for taxes paid previous tax years, as his disability income was taxable.)

Now that things have somewhat normalized, I plan to return to preparing our returns myself.

So, with that stated, can I include him (and his income) on my return this year, or does the IRS require that once his own return is filed, it must remain that way? Until TY2011, his minimal interest and dividends were low enough for inclusion on our return.

Thanks again-

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.