No. of Recommendations: 1
OK, thanks for the various responses. I'm aware of the trust departments at banks, but my interaction with them (usually when I've just deposited a large rollover check or something) is that they're pretty clueless, at least as far as investments go. The (first and last) meeting I had with my current bank ended with "and we recommend these mutual funds" which were all high fee, mediocre performance funds.

Frankly, I don't "trust" a single person - a lawyer, a CPA or whatever. My former CPA was indicted for embezzlement (not from me); imagine my surprise when I saw his mug shot in the local paper! And just down the street was a well regarded "retirement investment" firm, which, as it turns out, funded the retirement of the founder but not the depositors, who now find themselves broke.

But yes, I will investigate Vanguard and maybe a couple of other reputable outfits. I've been putting it off, but having seen what my sister had to go through during my father's final years, I guess it's time to get off my butt and do some work on it.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.