Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm ready to start with the FF. Right now my portfolio is about 85% index mutual funds and 15% cash. I'm not sure I understand exactly how to begin, though. It seems there are two approaches: buy the current FF, hold them for a year, then adjust to the new FF after that time, vs. buy the current PPP (if I'm using PPP correctly - I mean the FF stock with the best price/yield) each month. Equal dollar amounts all around.

At any given time, with the first approach I'll have four stocks and with the second I'll have 12. Do I have this right? If so, I'm more interested in the second approach.

What I've read so far doesn't make the process crystal clear in my mind, probably because I've been mindlessly DCAing index funds for so long. To get started it looks like I pick a date, pick the PPP on that date, and buy it in my chosen dollar amount. Then do that every month for a year. After a year and a day, replace the oldest holding with the latest PPP.

Of course, I don't understand rebalancing a FF portfolio at all yet, but I have a year to work on it, right?. Do I have it all right or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.