Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Ok you got me interested, with only Notepad, Word and I.E. to go RealPlayer got something on its side( I read they were adding 100,000 users a day, pretty cool).

Top 10 Software Application Usage, March 2000 (U.S. Home Windows and Mac)

...........................................................Unique Users (000's) % of Users
1 Microsoft Internet Explorer......................49,250...................... 52.9%
2 Microsoft Word......................................40,325...................... 43.3%
3 Microsoft Notepad..................................30,507.......................32.7%
4 RealNetworks RealPlayer....................28,917......................31.0%
5 America Online......................................27,919......................30.0%
6 Microsoft Outlook Express......................27,883......................29.9%
7 Microsoft Office......................................24,928......................26.8%
8 AOL Netscape Navigator/Communicator...23,406......................25.1%
9 InstallShield...........................................22,817......................24.5%
10 Microsoft Solitaire.................................21,036......................22.6%
Source: Media Metrix

Here's the link and story.
http://www.mediametrix.com/usa/press/releases/20000522a.jsp

I guess your right that Microsoft won't want to move to do anything to encourage the UNIX flavours. I checked out the system requirements of Microsofts I.E 5 ( the 53% leader) and low and behold it was only for Windows 95 and Windows 98 and Windows NT. Commercial sucicide for any other company.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Ie/TechInfo/default.ASP

Also RNWK has a great partners list including Adobe, Akamai, Digital Island, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Intel, Macromedia, PanAmSat, Red Hat, Silicon Graphics, and Sun Microsystems.

I wonder what if MSFT gets split up? If the windows player is put with the OS great, but if they give it to the application division or worse have an Internet division then there should be no such reticence. An I.E. port to UNIX and an insistence that streaming is part of I.E. and you've got a competitor. Having said that MSFT movie type, AVI, was beaten hands down by Apple's Quicktime.

I appreciate there is a Godzilla network affect involved but I'd be interested on the Gorilla part. Is it the compresssion algorithms or a proprietary file format?

This one will be controversial and I did not pen a full Gorilla report with this column

I can't believe it is going to be more controversial than the Cloned Mice Gorilla game :)

Anyway, I'll wait for you're next posting.

Appologies for my spelling Hotmail is down, which I use for this duty. Might end up getting Word
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.