Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay. Here we go again! ;-)

I do take fish oil, but I'm cheap, so it's an inexpensive brand, but the amounts of EPA and DHA are similar to Minami.

I spend now for excellent quality supplements because they do a lot more for my health, and that has consequences for my future. So I regard it as money really well spent.

I would more than double your fish oil for now, and once you've healed, you can return to the dose you've been taking.

I do also take 500mg of cheap vitamin C, and I'll try doubling that.

First of all, a cheap vitamin C isn't doing much good even in normal times. It needs compounds added to it to improve its biovailability. But even so, you can't metabolize more than 500mg at a time. Anything more will be peed out. The one that I take, the liposomal version, is protected with a coating that enables a lot more of the dose to be used by your body. And it's a very reasonable price. It costs $37 for 180 gelcaps of 500mg. You can take 1000mg at a time, and derive full benefit. I'd suggest that--for now, until you're healed--get that one and take several grams/day. Then once you've healed, you can decide if you want to take 500mg/day of that one, or return to your cheap one.
https://www.allstarhealth.com/f/dr_mercola-liposomal_vitamin...

"To ice or heat", that is the perennial question!

Then follow the guide that advises combining them--10 min of cold followed immediately by 10 min of heat.

Topricin. I see that it's a homeopathic product, and I think the efficacy of those is dubious at best despite the rave reviews,....

Homeopathy is challenging, because it's really hard to get any kind of intuitive feeling for it. I had never put much stock into it until I met several really crackerjack physicians who had trained in it and found it to be an invaluable addition to their toolbox. And then I've had some good experiences. For me, Topricin turned out to be far superior than the product I had used before that, which had been recommended by an integrative physiatrist I had met. And the woman who's exercise studio I go to had been a fan of arnica for injuries and bruises until she tried Topricin. She wasn't initially enthusiastic, convinced that arnica couldn't be topped. I gave her some to try, and she was absolutely floored. She didn't replace her arnica. She said there's no comparison. And there IS some good research. One area had concerned kids' ear infections, and it was compared to antibiotics. It performed significantly, and in less time--and without the side effects we now know occur with antibiotic use in kids. But forget about trying to understand dilutions and all that stuff. Give it the acid test. Get some, try it. If you don't find benefit, then give it to a friend to try.

I had mentioned acupuncture before. Realizing now that spending as minimally as possible is important to you, I'd suggest looking to see if there's an acupuncture school where you live. If so, contact the clinic where students train (under the careful supervision of highly experiences practititoners). It'll take longer, but you'll get excellent treatment and it should cost you next to nothing.

As for the aspirin--I'd try it, and see what happens.

Good luck. And please report back about how you're doing, and what works for you and what doesn't!

=sheila
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.