Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Okay, here's a link to a HUD-1 closing statement

Unfortunately, the HUD-1 has gone the way of the dinosaur. Now consumers get a Closing Disclosure Statement, which is infinitely harder to read.

Take a look for yourself. https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201311_cfpb_kbyo_closing...

My biggest beef with this form is page 3. The lender gets this version of page 3. The consumer gets a different version where page 3 is mostly blank lines for details of items, such as a loan payoff or other payments from the loan proceeds. It is an abomination of a form.

I have 4 or 5 of these horrible forms on my desk at the moment for clients who have had real estate transactions in the last year. My time to deal with these transactions has more than doubled, and I have to be extremely careful (to the point of making my own excel spreadsheet) to be sure I capture all of the important information and that I can balance the transaction.

The only bright light is that many escrow companies in my area continue to produce a simple two column recap of the transaction which is perfect (IMHO better even than the old HUD-1) for accounting for the transaction. When I get one of those I breathe a sigh of relief.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.