No. of Recommendations: 2
Okay, I felt like a complete schmuck for not having all of the info on this, but I knew I'd seen active duty get the benefit before. So I called a nearby JAG office, and this is what they told me:

-The SSCRA applies to Active as well as Reservists and National Guards members called to Active Duty.
-The purpose of the SSCRA is to provide relief to those whose finances were negatively affected by serving their country. (In other words, they're making less money now than they did before they joined the service or were called to active duty.)
-The debt in question had to have been incurred before entering the service/being called to active duty.

Unfortunately, since you've been in for fourteen years, these probably don't apply to you, unless maybe there's a loan included in your debt. However, please DO let others know about the SSCRA. There are lots of newer enlistees who are hurting for money and don't realize this is available to them; many of them have debt that would be covered under this. (One question I forgot to ask was whether the spouse's income counted as prior enlisted income. Since so many spouses lose their jobs when PCSing, that would be important.)

In any case, I'd still speak to each of the CC companies and argue my case, just as you did in your post. If all else fails, and if you have access to military banking, check out a consolidation loan. The terms and results are a bit different than many civilian consolidation loans, but you've still got to be prepared to cut up most of your cards. Good luck to you and your family!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.